Monday, November 28, 2011

Sunday cooking with Sis!

So, I'm the big sister on this blog. My whole family calls me Sis, rather than Melissa. I owe y'all an introduction post telling you how I ended up here, as a dedicated ancestral eater and lover of planning and cooking my meals. We'll save that for a day when I have more time.

Most weeks I cook my food for the week every Sunday. It's become a ritual and when life interferes and I have to do it on Saturday night or (gasp) not at all, it is not a pretty sight. I am spoiled with eating my own home-cooked meals for breakfast and luch at work.


This week I made two recipes,
Sausage and Potato Hash with Eggs and Italian Beef and Squash with Mashed Potatoes.



Let's start with Breakfast. I bought a cheap package of Country Style Pork Sausage and decided to cook a very cheap, easy meal around it. I love my electric skillet, probably more than I should. It's so versatile!

Ingredients:

12 oz pork sausage
2 medium potatoes1 medium onion
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt

12 eggs

¼ cup heavy whipping cream
3 tsp butter


Directions:

Chop potato into bite size chunks


Chop onion


In an electric skillet or frying pan, brown sausage and 1/2 of onions then remove
and set aside

Add potatoes and remaining onions to skillet, cover and cook until almost done,
then turn up heat and allow to brown



Add sausage and onion mixture back to skillet and heat through, then put aside, wipe the skillet clean

In a mixing bowl, whip eggs and heavy whipping cream together creating
scrambled egg mixture

Add butter to skillet, allowing it to just barely melt, then add egg mixture


Use your spatula to cook the eggs and create scrambled egg patty


When eggs are almost completely done, split into two patties and flip with
spatula, then remove from heat

Cut each egg patty into 3 pieces



Place 1 cup of hash mixture into bottom of foil, then place egg patty on top,allow to cool, then freeze


My second recipe this week was the Italian Beef and Squash with Mashed Potatoes. I actually based this on our Paleo Reloaded Sweet Potato Beef Stew recipe, but didn't have sweet potatoes, so I started with a zucchini and acorn squash I found in the pantry and just kind of went from there.


32 oz beef stew meat

2 medium zucchini, cubed
1 whole acorn squash, cubed
12 oz tomato paste

12 oz tomato sauce
1 medium onion, chopped

1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder

6 average potatoes, quartered
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

2 tbsp butter





Stew:

Chop zucchini and acorn squash into bite size chunks


Chop onion

Put all ingredients (thru potatoes) into crock pot, stir well

Cook on low for 4-6 hours

Mashed Potatoes:


Peel potatoes and cut into chunks


Boil in salted water until soft


Drain and return to pot


Add butter and heavy whipping cream, mix well


Set aside





Once stew is done, place 1/2 cup mashed potatoes in the bottom of your foil, top with 1
cup of stew mixture. Cool and freeze.

See you next week!


-- Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment