Monday, January 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Sausage & Apple Casserole


Sunday Cooking with Sis (Part One)

Wow.  I'm back.  The holidays always make me disappear.  I was super excited to get back to my normal routine this week.   I always feel so much better when everything is prepped for the week the way I like it.  

I wanted easy, yummy food this week, nothing complicated, to get me back in the swing of things.  While I was going through recipes I saved I decided I really wanted to make something with the delicious homemade apple sausage that my local grocery store makes.  Plus, my mom sent me home with a bag of apples that needed a recipe before they went bad.  My Googlefu presented me with a couple of options which I rearranged to fit my needs.

Sweet Potato Sausage & Apple Casserole Recipe


INGREDIENTS:

3 large sweet potatoes
4 chicken apple sausage links
3 apples
1 tsp maple sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter





DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Cook sausages and reserve drippings
  • Bake sweet potatoes until completely soft. Remove skin and mash with butter, maple syrup/sugar (or sweetener of choice) and cinnamon. Spread in bottom of 9 x 13 glass casserole dish.
  • Slice cooked sausages into circles and place in single layer on top of sweet potatoes.
  • Thinly slice apples and place on top of the sausage layer.
  • Take sausage drippings and drizzle on top of apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Bake until apples are soft.

Portion into 8 foil pods, let cool, then freeze.

It smells almost as good as it tastes!  I wish my pictures could convey my end food product better.  My sister bought me a bag of accessories to present my food and take better pictures.  Hopefully, you will see my skills improve as the year goes on.



Sis

1 comment: