Thursday, February 16, 2012

Carrot Cake Pancakes with Honey Butter


Carrot Cake Pancakes were a favorite from my pre-Paleo days.  The original recipe used regular flour and brown sugar and lowfat everything.  I have added coconut oil and use local, organic honey with Kerrygold butter for my topping.  No syrup needed here! 

For photograping purposes I have added some Omelet Muffins and thick sliced country bacon.  In reality, I will eat half of this as my breakfast.  It sure does look awesome, though, all piled up high on the plate!  I could eat all that if I didn't want to eat the rest of the day.  As a formerly obese person, I still have to watch my calories pretty tight, Paleo eater or not.

Carrot Cake Pancakes with Honey Butter

Prep Time: 10 min               
Cook Time: 20 minutes            
Yield: 6

INGREDIENTS:

1 ¼ cups almond flour
¼ cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of ginger
¼ cup maple sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 ½ tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups carrot, grated
3 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp honey

DIRECTIONS:

·         Mix dry ingredients together until fully blended.  Add milk, oil and eggs, then fold in carrots. 

·         Heat skillet with coconut oil, spoon mixture onto hot skillet, about 2 overflowing tablespoons per pancake.  Allow pancake to cook until you see the edges start to brown.  Flip gently and continue to cook until done.

·         Combine butter and honey in a small bowl and serve with pancakes.

Nutrition: 6 PODS - 392 calories, 30g fat, 356g sodium, 22G carb, 4g fiber, 10g protein

nutrition information estimated at Livestrong.com:
http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/mealpod-carrot-cake-pancakes-honey-butter/

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, yeah, carrot cake pancakes sound phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot cake and pancakes on one plate? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete