Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Scotch Eggs


So.  Scotch eggs.  Hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage.  Mmmmm.  Seriously?  I read about them a couple places this week, my favorites being F.E.D. and Johnny Roadtrip.  I really wanted to do a Pork x 3 egg with Canadian bacon, thick country bacon and sausage.  Sadly, my Canadian bacon was too thick and wouldn't wrap around the egg well enough.  I will defintately be re-trying this recipe with the Candian bacon.

These were really super easy.  I wanted to add an extra Paleo-esque aspect by rolling them in the ground almonds and frying them in the bacon grease before throwing them in the oven.  I am totally a breakfast person and I cannot imagine a more perfect breakfast unless I figured out how to add butter to this.

Scotch Egg
Prep Time: 10 min               
Cook Time: 45 minutes            
Yield: 12


INGREDIENTS:

12 eggs, hard-boiled
12 slices thick cut bacon, lightly cooked
24 oz pork sausage
¼ cup ground almonds
Bacon drippings

DIRECTIONS:

·         Preheat oven to 375˚

·         If you can hard boil eggs the night before and cool in the fridge.  Cook the bacon until done, but not crisp.

·         Wrap each egg in a slice of bacon, then cover in 2 oz of pork sausage.

·         Coat with ground almond, then cook in bacon drippings until lightly browned.

·         Bake in oven on a raised rack for 45 minutes.

Allow to cool, wrap tightly in foil, then freeze.

Nutrition:
12 PODS (serving) 295 calories, 34 g fat, 716g sodium, 3G carb, 0g fiber, 19g protein

nutrition information estimated at Livestrong.com:

2 comments:

  1. I did these about a week and half ago, but instead of coating them with anything, I just threw them on my grill.

    http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/scotch-eggs/

    ReplyDelete