Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lunch Roundup #7

Whole wheat pita with grilled chicken, baby spinach and tomatoes, & fruit

To mix things up this week, I decided to try my hand at making whole wheat pitas. I found the recipe at King Arthur Flour website and it worked perfectly. If you haven't made pitas before, it is a basic flatbread recipe that when you bake it, it inflates like a balloon creating a pocket of air inside. Ihave to say Iwas really really amused when it worked - as I didn't think it actually would. 

It was starting to deflate at this point, but you can see the pillow shape

They use 1/2 whole wheat flour and half bread flour to get it to poof up like a pillow and create that telltale pocket. They also recommend using a pizza stone, which I didn't. If you don't have a pizza stone, just heat up your pan before putting your dough on it. 

One thing that wasn't apparent in King Arthur's directions was how thin to make the dough with your rolling pin. I tried them a few thickesses and it worked best when I rolled it the thinnest I could get it without breaking a sweat. If it wasn't thin enough it didn't blow up like a pillow in the oven giving you flat bread instead. 



I think the pitas were a hit for lunches this week. The kids enjoyed stuffing them with various fillings each day. Of course if Idid them every week - the novelty will wear off.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment