Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lunch Roundup #8 Easter!


Yes, I had to. I really did. It is the week before Easter and we haven't made pizza lunches for a while so I made bunny pizzas. I altered my past pizza dough recipe by substituting whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat flour. It made it not rise so much and it had a crisper texture - perfect for when you don't want the dough to puff up your art! 

I was worried that my 13 year old would be embarrassed by the bunnies so I made some round ones too, but nope, she brought the bunny.  

Also shown is carrots (what do you think the bunny eats?), homemade shortbread chicks from my fave  Mary Engelbreit's Cookies  cookbook, and strawberries and watermelon flower cutout. 

-- Nicole 


1/2 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Nicole Caulfield

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat PASTRY flour
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 packet Fleishmann's rapid rise yeast
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Put all your flour, salt, and yeast in a heavy duty food processor with the dough blade in.
  2. Warm up a cup of water in the microwave on high for a minute. Remove and mix in 1 cup hot water from the tap. Mix in the oil with the water.
  3. Pour the water/oil mixture into the food processor and turn on. Let it go for a couple of minutes or until you have a well mixed dough. If you need to add water or flour go ahead
  4. Let sit for 10 minutes in an oiled bowl with a towel over the top.
  5. Pull off 3 inch balls of dough and form into pizza rounds. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
  6. Add sauce of your choice, part-skim mozzarella and toppings. Bake on the second to bottom rack @ 375 for 15 minutes or until the cheese gets bubbly. 
If you don't have  a food processor - mix half the flour with salt & yeast & all of the water/oil mixture. Combine well and then add the remaining flour. Knead until smooth and doughy. Resume with step # 4. chicken sausage for the nose.

To make the bunny shape. Take your 3 inch ball and ull off 1/3 of it and set aside. Make a round pizza shape out of the larger ball. Break the remaining dough into 2, and roll each into coils (snakes), flatten the coil and attach to the head. Pinch the tips of the ears. I used olives for the eyes and mouth and Thin n' Trim 





3 comments:

  1. I will have to try this cute recipe...My daughter will surely join me in preparing these Easter bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!!! They were fun. y daughter helped me with one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tnx for the recipe. I made it for Easter this year and the whole family liked it.

    ReplyDelete